Estimates for the amount of carbon dioxide emitted from “anthropocentric sources” (sources due to man’s activities) – this is mainly from fossil fuel burning – are around 22 bill120 tons of carbon per hectare corresponds to 440 tons of carbon dioxide equivalent per hectare of mature forest trees.
Carbon – atomic mass = 12
Carbon dioxide – CO2 – molecular mass – 12 + 16 + 16 = 44
So a mature forest can soak up the equivalent of 440 tons of atmospheric carbon dioxide per hectare in the 50-100 years it takes to reach maturity – that’s a one-off total – not per year and may take several decades to get there.
In order to deal with currently generated carbon dioxide, an area of forest equivalent to:
22 billion tons divided by 440 tons per hectare – is needed
= 50 Million hectares per annum or 500 000 square kilometers per annum
…to be planted with forest and held in perpetuity (not cut down or allowed to revert back to atmospheric carbon dioxide).
This is approximately equivalent to the entire land area of Spain, twice as big as the United Kingdom and bigger than any US state other than Texas (696,621 sq km.) or Alaska (1,717,854 sq. km.) To be forested anew each year and held as such forever.
Therefore planting trees alone other than on a colossal scale is not going to even allow us to stand still – let alone start to reverse the effects of global warming. full article
A better idea: Paint buildings with air cleaning paint
- The Washington Monument at its base is 55’ x 55’ which equates to 278 Square Meters
- If we were to figure we need approximately 30-50 square meters of land to plant a tree, we would only be able to plant 6-7 trees on the land taken up by the Washington Monument!
- The height of the monument however and the fact that it has four sides “paints” a much different picture.
- The height of the monument is 555 Ft and so on all four sides, it equates to roughly 122,100 Square feet or 11,343 square meters.
- KNOxOUT air cleaning paint is the equivalent of one “tree” per square meter of panted area.
- Since by covering any horizontal area with KNOxOUT paint is like planting one mature tree, doesn’t it make sense to have 11,343 trees rather than 6 or 7…?????